WORM & Amarte Foundation team up to provide you with an amazing opportunity! Are you a Netherlands-based creative who is interested in an interdisciplinary way of working? Then continue reading!
WORM & Amarte Foundation are looking for artists who would like to make interdisciplinary, site specific work in one of WORM’s three spaces:
- the black box theatre space, UBIK
- the white cube gallery space, WORM Gallery
- the radio station, Radio WORM
We look to support artists who will either create new work or whose work is in a development stage. You’ll develop the work using WORM’s facilities. The work period should have a concrete outcome in the end.
Check out WORM’s website!
This opportunity supports musicians, writers, audio-visual makers, tik tok producers, make-up artists, photographers, designers, producers, performers, choreographers, teachers, activists and digital artists, installation makers, radio makers and others who are ready to make site specific work using WORM’s facilities.
We welcome any artistic practice who is ready to combine disciplines. We encourage applicants from “non traditional” artistic backgrounds. And we are looking forward to meeting creators who explore unconventional and progressive ways of making and presenting.
What is an interdisciplinary project?
For us, a project is interdisciplinary when professional makers combine different disciplines within the project. The disciplines represented in the project have an equal artistic position. This means a fusion of disciplines takes place in which a new artistic language is jointly developed.
Deadline and timetable
You can apply for this open call from December 15th 2022, until January 15th 2023.
Before the deadline, we’ll schedule phone calls for all interested applicants, to help you if you have any questions regarding the application:
- Option 1: January 11th, 2023
- Option 2: January 12th 2023
Send an email to Henrietta (email@example.com), or James (firstname.lastname@example.org) to schedule a call.
A selection committee from both Amarte and WORM will select three final projects. In the end of March the selection will be announced. Then the three makers will receive 5.000 euro’s each, and will start developing their work.
- UBIK: UBIK is WORM’s playground for performance artists and those artists who want to exchange embodied knowledge, experiment with ways of gathering, and research the art of performance in its broadest sense. It consists of a 12 x 13 metre sprung floor with light and sound facilities. There is a small kitchen to the side down some stairs. There is no tribune, the public surrounds the appointed stage or spreads through the space.UBIK can accommodate a wide range of disciplines: whether theatre, visual arts, dance and circus, or rituals, opera and voguing, improvised collaborations, music-based actions, occult interventions and everything that has no name yet.
- WORM Gallery: WORM Gallery is an exhibition space for fast changing presentations, small scale performance events, workshops and artists-in-residence. It is an open space measuring 7 metres wide and currently 11 metres deep from street to the Performance Bar border/curtain. There are two hanging walls. Specific lighting wishes and sound (up to 90 db maximum) can be arranged in advance.WORM Gallery hosts forward-thinking visual and sonic projects, offers try-out space to art academy students and invites (international) residents to make work such as site-specific installations. The focus is on live interaction, and collaborations with local artists and WORM’s neighbours in the Cool district.
- Radio WORM:Radio WORM is an online radio platform at the heart of WORM Rotterdam. Our studio hosts audio production of all descriptions, with over 80 resident shows as well as a shifting schedule of one-off events, mini-series and special guests.Sound art, experimental music, interviews, mixes, informal reporting and in-depth talk-based series all find their place here: we’re always looking for what doesn’t fit anywhere else.We welcome radio makers of all levels of experience, without limits on style or genre. We aim to reflect the many communities of WORM and beyond, with special interest in local stories and ongoing international connections. Radio art has always held a special place in our hearts, and we hold a tight connection with the WORM Sound Studio.
What can you expect?
Between June and October each project will get the selected space in WORM to work, test, create, develop and research. WORM will coach the artistic process, support technical needs and organise the presentations.
WORM will be your critical friend 🙂
Production and presentation time in WORM
Production and try out period:
- June 5th – June 10th 2023
- July 10th – July 15th 2023
- September 4th – September 8th and September 10th 2023
Write in your application which of these three periods you choose to develop your work at WORM. Make this period also a part of the time frame we ask you to upload with your application.
- October 9th – October 12th 2023
- October 13th – October 14th 2023
How to apply
- Click on Apply to go to our application system. Register here.
- Click on ‘Start a new application’ and choose the form Open Call – WORM x Amarte.
- Fill out the form and upload the three attachments: Project plan, budget plan and portfolio. You can apply in Dutch or English.
- Projectplan and budget plan (max. 1 A4)
- Time frame (June – October 2023), in which you tell us what you’re going to work on in this time period. Also let us know which of the three development periods you choose for working at WORM
- Portfolio (max. 2 relevant earlier works)
Please note: these three attachments are mandatory. We cannot process your application without the attachments.